Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wait, your name is Lydia, too!?

On the first day of class this term, my geology teacher called my name and I answered as nonchalantly as usual. I was never expecting to be interrupted by a second hand going up in the air, that of the girl next to me. As I slammed my hand down in confusion over this interruption, my teacher informed me,
"Lydia, there is another Lydia in this class."
"No way!" I thought to myself, "I never meet other Lydias!"
On the few occasions when I have met someone with the same name, they have always shared the same excitement as me, I expected the same from this girl, who even looks a bit like me (freckles, light skin, thin).
"Wow! This is weird!" I exclaimed to her, "How do you spell it?"
She gave me a weird look, rolled her eyes and said, "L-Y-D-I-A. How ELSE would you spell it?"
I proceeded to tell her that I have had my name spelled all kinds of weird ways, including "Lideah," "Lydea," and the more common version, "Lidia."
This version of my name just smirked at her friend and didn't seem interested.
My sisters always joke that people with the same name often share characteristics. All three of us know never to date a guy named Josh, he's going to be full of himself. And Steve, well he's going to be a manipulative a**hole. It's just the law of the universe.
Meeting this bitchy, eye-rolling version of "Lydia" was a little much for me. I wonder if she's a reflection of me in some way, and all the previous Lydia's I have met were a reflection of a much happier, better me.
Bull-shit. I was totally nice to her, some girls are just bitches.

P.S. Maybe I will give the next Josh I meet a chance, too.

2 comments:

thebloggerssister said...

HAHAHA..... cool post Lydia. There was a girl named Lydia who graduated my year from AHS. I dont know if she is bitchy though. Just tell that other Lydia, "We might have the same name, but I'm better!" haha.

Anonymous said...

not to freak you out or anything, I'm another Lydia Elliott... Lydia C. not B. though. I was at a conference a couple years ago and turned to the woman next to me to introduce myself and after doing so my outstretched hand was stared at in confusion. The woman waited another three seconds then said "uhhh...me too. I'm Lydia" like I was trying to steal her identity. It was pretty hysterical.